The difference between“in between“y“in between“
“In between“y“in between“they are easy to confuse.
Collection of articles discussing the Difference Between similar terms and things, categories range from Nature to Technology.
“Between“ is usually used with two, but sometimes more than two, separate and distinct things. For example:
- The treasure is between the palm tree and the hut. ✔️
- What is the difference between hate, loathing, and disdain? ✔️
“Among“ is used to portray the idea of being in a group or in the midst of a group. For example:
- I want to live among like-minded people. ✔️
- Share these sweets among yourselves. ✔️
“Between“Makes the Things Separate and Distinct
Note that the use of“in between“it will represent the things that follow as separate and distinct. In the example below, using“in between“creates two different sets of trees (ie the ones on the left and the ones on the right).
Even More about“Between“and“Among“
Confusion over words“in between“y“in between“it is understandable because the difference is subtle. (Note that“in between“y“in between“are prepositions).
The word“in between“it is usually used to describe that something is in the middle of two other things. For example:
- She was trapped between molten lava and the sea.
- I hid the note between two rocks.
- The cameraman was between the zebras and the pride.
Cuando se usa de esta manera,“in between“is used with two separate and distinct things (for example, the lava and the sea, a rock and another rock, the zebra and the herd).
The words separate and distinct are important because you only use“in between“when the things that follow are separate and distinct. Of course,“in between“is also used in other meanings besides telling us where things are located, but the words that follow“in between“they are always separate and distinct things. For example:
- Sadness is but a wall between two gardens. (Author Khalil Gibran) ✔️
- Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower. (Apple founder Steve Jobs) ✔️
(When a comparison is being offered for separate and distinct things, use“between.“)
- The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man’s determination. (Baseball manager Tommy Lasorda) ✔️
“Between“Can Be Used with More Than Two Things
Es un error común pensar que“in between“is used with two things and“in between“It is used with three or more things. In fact,“in between“can be used with three or more things as long as they are separate and distinct. For example:
- Share the sweets between Peter, Paul, Fred, and Dan. ✔️
- Education is a shared commitment between dedicated teachers, motivated students, and enthusiastic parents with high expectations. (US Politician Bob Beauprez) ✔️
La palabra“in between“it is generally used to represent the idea of being part of a group or being in the middle of a group.“Among“It is usually followed by a plural noun. For example:
- If you live among wolves you have to act like a wolf. (Former Premier of the Soviet Union Nikita Khrushchev) ✔️
(The term“wolves“does not portray separate and distinct things. It portrays a group.)
- There is honour among thieves. ✔️
(The term“thieves“does not portray separate and distinct things. It portrays a group.)
- There is nothing more likely to start disagreement among people or countries than an agreement. (Author E B White) ✔️
(Be careful. This does not refer to“disagreement between people and countries“but to“disagreement among people“and to“disagreement among countries.“)
- We find comfort among those who agree with us and growth among those who don’t. (Lawyer Frank A Clark) ✔️