The difference between“Role“y“Roll“
“Role“y“roll“they are easy to confuse because they sound identical (that is, they are perfect homonyms). However, their meanings are very different.
Collection of articles discussing the Difference Between similar terms and things, categories range from Nature to Technology.
Role.“Role“is the“an actor’s interpretation of a character“o“a job or function“. For example:
- You were brilliant in your Hamlet role, dear. ✔️
- What’s your role in the office?
Roll. Un rollo es una“list (usually of names)“o one“piece of bread“. The verb“to roll“generally means“move turning“o“begin“.
- Call the roll, Mr. Jones. ✔️
- Nothing beats a fresh roll straight from the oven.
- Roll the snowman’s head over to the body.
“Role“y“roll“are homonyms homophones (words that sound the same). They are not homograph homonyms (words that look the same).
The noun“paper“means“an actor’s interpretation of a character“o“a job or function (of a person or thing)“. For example:
- Teddy was totally convincing in the role of Shylock. ✔️
- What’s your role onboard this aircraft? ✔️
- The thermostat’s role is to keep the temperature below 200 degrees so the casing does not melt. ✔️
As a noun,“rollo“has three main meanings:
(1) A small round piece of bread (i.e., a bread roll).
- Would you like butter on your roll? ✔️
(2) A list.
- Please check the nominal roll to ensure we’re all present. ✔️
(3) A rotating movement.
- The acrobat did three rolls and backflip. ✔️
As a verb,“to roll“has three main meanings:
(1) To move by rotating or gather by rolling.
- We used to roll the hay bales down the hill. ✔️
- Roll over a bit. ✔️
- They rolled the best cigars in the world. ✔️
(2) To move on wheels.
- The skateboarders rolled past the park attendant, and he did not say a word. ✔️
(3) To start.
- Roll the cameras. ✔️
- Roll the credits. ✔️
Roll the Ball
La palabra“rollo“it usually has a circular, spherical or cylindrical connection. For example:
- Cigar roll
- Roll the film
- Roll away.
You might think that“rollo“, that means“list“, is an exception to this observation. However, if you think of a scroll as parchment, the circular link is there.
Let the last two letters of“ball“bring to mind“roll“.